All Of It

All Of It
(November 7, ’09)

I am tired of listening to people who talk about love, and say they are in love, and act as if they know love.

You should think that the more and more something is used and re-used, the more the something would become familiar. The more it would become known. The more it would become conceivable. Reachable. Mundane.

But then there is love. And the more and more that people say that they have it-that they know it- the more and more that I see how really different it is. Not at all like what people believe it to be.

Because I know that love is a spirit so strong, so defiant, so powerful, so beautiful, so unpredictable, and so very overwhelming and consuming, that it would not ever allow itself to be put into a box, to be molded into a frame, to become something of someone’s ownership.

True love is not something we can define in a book- it would eat the pages. True love is not something we can lock into a box- it would burn it to ashes.

I would like to say that true love is something that we do not possess- but that possesses us. Because that would complete a definition. But. I think that having true love in your heart is already a romance in itself. It is the possession of your whole being as you are consumed with the flames of passion and desire- but then it is also the possession and eating up of a life force on which your soul feeds.

And so, one is in love.

I know not of any true love other than this love. Than this in its mere becoming is already a full romance!

If you do not look at yourself and see yourself possessed and overtaken and consumed- whether in a soft and gentle manner or a raging and seething one- if you do not feed on this love as the source of your living soul- whether a soothingly sweet feeding or a suddenly gluttonous one- then I am not interested in this love that you say that you have.

What is the reason to live life, at all, if this is not all of it?


© 2009 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Charity,

    I loved reading All of It, about love.
    It is so true what you have written, true love possesses us.

    Have a great weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chairty joe bell,

    this is master piece "I would like to say that true love is something that we do not possess- but that possesses us." lovin this sentence...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have described 'being in love' in a very interesting way. There are just so many aspects to true love and it is so very hard to describe it. Words simply cannot do it justice - I know I can't find them! I think that for me 1. Corinthians chapter 13 - called the chapter of love - is WHO true love is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure being "in love" is different for everybody. I can see how it would get irritating to hear people wax poetic about it all the time.
    Thank you for your sweet comments about the party. I'm so glad you added your story and that you enjoyed yourself. Now I have to get busy thinking about the next one...six months down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing is sure... we do not fall in love because love does not make us fall at times...

    The best definition/description of love that I can give is 1 CORINTHIANS 13...

    This is such a brave post... i see and different you as I read along...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, C

    I have read so much about love ... It's a feeling that we ought to speak less and would be better to live longer... What is certain is that all love something, love someone and that love is the strongest feeling that marks our existence .An romanian author, Marin Preda said :There is nothing, if there is no love...

    Many,many kisses,

    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'If you do not look at yourself and see yourself possessed and overtaken and consumed- whether in a soft and gentle manner or a raging and seething one- if you do not feed on this love as the source of your living soul- whether a soothingly sweet feeding or a suddenly gluttonous one- then I am not interested in this love that you say that you have."

    I love it. You put words in my mouth. For some people this is foolish, but I'd rather not have love if it does not consume me. YOu make me teary-eyed, Charity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful words you have put together and what a beautiful sentiment as well. I didn't truly understand love until my children were born. That feeling was so overwhelming and all consuming. And I never felt so loved by another being until I got that first smile from each of them. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. C, so eloquently expressed. You have reached the essence of what love truly is and understand it's passion. Your words "True love is not something we can define in a book- it would eat the pages. True love is not something we can lock into a box- it would burn it to ashes" say it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well said, c! i would like to quote words you have expressed eloquently but that will fill up the comment space...i feel all of it!

    someone who have written, braved and dared speak of such must have gone through all that and even beyond! i applaud you for saying something very few would have uttered and even fewer who would have understood.... "what it the reason to live life, at all, if this is not all of it..."

    have a lovely weekend, c!

    eng

    ReplyDelete
  11. love is so many things, it is given, and shown to others in a myriad of ways. i think it is difficult to define. at different stages of our life it changes. it is not always all consuming. sometimes it is quiet and thoughtful. yes, hopefully it is something we experience and have, because life without it is rather empty and monotonous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi nice blog..

    True love is something you cant buy...

    love your post...keep up the good work..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do agree in every respect. The main reason why true lovers can not even explain the intensity of love that they feel. Unfathomable.

    Nice post! Loved every word.^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very interesting because love can hurt or love can embrace and we never know where it's going for sure.

    Great post...

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody...thank you...each one of you...for each of your comments! I always appreciate your comments, a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top