Piazza di Spagna

This is a photo I took in Rome. This plaque sits on the wall right next to the Spanish Steps at the Piazza di Spagna, on the building where you can find and have a heartwarming eat at Babington's 1893 which is a Tea House that has been making homemade cakes, pastries, and muffins (and of course, tea) since 1893.

There is something inexplicably magical about sitting on the Spanish Steps. You sit there, and you simply soak in magic. And that's why both locals and tourists alike- go to the Spanish Steps to simply sit there and watch the day go by. I could do that every day, for the rest of my life..... it can't be explained..... but it is simply magical.


This has fast become my most favorite poem, in which the magic of Piazza di Spagna has been encapsulated...

PASSERO' PER PIAZZA DI SPAGNA di Cesare Pavese........

 

-click on the photo to enlarge, if you have any trouble reading-




And, now I present to you my own rendition of the magic of the Spanish Steps, one which I wrote during my first days in Rome. :) I took the picture of the above plaque during my last days in Rome, which was the very first time I even noticed it there. :)

...
Piazza di Spagna
(June 13, 2010 ~ Roma, Italia)

Step by step and
One by one they
Ascend they descend like
Ladders to the gods
The mortals take shield
Us mortals take refuge
Loitering these divine steps
Sitting, laying, kneeling, sprawling
Red roses dance ballet
Chilly air Hot sun
Lovers kissing Children laughing
Sounds of life abound
And here I am
History under my feet
I drink in the 
Sounds of life and
Sounds of love and
Chilly air Hot sun

Piazza di Spagna


© 2010 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved.

And here are some photos I took which I'd like to share with you....



© 2010 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved.

...take a little magic with you...
love,

15 comments:

  1. Contrary to popular belief, The Spanish Steps is NOT a gift from the Spanish people, and has frankly nothing to do with the Spanish people nor with Spain. It is a gift from the French, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both those poems.

    I didn't get to sit on the Spanish Steps when I was in Rome. There was scaffolding around them. Maybe next time.

    My favourite steps are in Barcelona, the ones in front of the Fountains of Montjuic leading up to the National Museum of Art of Cataluna. I always think I'm in heaven when I'm sitting on those steps at night and the fountains & music start to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If vacations were in my budget, this would definitely be in my top 10 places to visit. Your poem and pictures make me feel like I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charity,

    I loved seeing your photos and reading your wonderful poem.
    Gorgeous!... and makes me want to go there one day.
    So many people out enjoying the day.

    Happy weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bells! You're back! You must have had such a fascinating time. After reading your previous post, it appears the world has unfurled itself to you and you discovered amazing things about it and yourself! I am so glad it was all worth it.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful new piece and the photos from your trip. I hope we get to read and see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to take this journey one day. It seems to be adventurous, and I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great poems, looks like you had a lovely time on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Charity! So you're back! It's been a long time! I hope you enjoyed your journey as much as I enjoyed your book — I'm so glad you liked my *humble* review :) I can see by the photos that you actually had a nice time, and I also read your messages in Twitter from Norway. It sounds so funny!
    By the way, I like Winifred's comment about Montjuïc steps in Barcelona, these are my favourite too.
    Thank you for that little magic. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous to read - had my first ever trip to Rome back in May but sadly time was limited to a day, so we didn't get to see the Spanish steps- thanks for bringing them to life here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for visiting me today Charity, always great to hear from you.
    How exciting writing another book of love letters, and must be fun working on this.

    Happy week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how wonderful and romantic... share more pics of your trip, C. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been gone for a while. But I have not forgotten you. You may remember me...as a young girl from 2 yrs ago; now a woman <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting post, Charity! :)

    Your creativity seems to have evolved to a new parabola, with the book, travels, facebook and all that. I'm happy for you. Those who dream by the night are whatever whatever, but those who act on their dreams are such and such, you know the quote Lawrence of Arabia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures! I wish I could visit these magical stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you everyone, for your visits and comments ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top