The Story Of A Bracelet

There is a story I would like to share with you, it is a story of when I was a little girl. It truly happened, this story, and I often think of it, to this day. It happened to me, and since that fateful day, I have returned to the memories of that afternoon very often. It was a fateful day in that it changed my life, and affected my thinking permanently, forever molding me into who I have become today. And so, it is a story not simply worth sharing, but a story that I ought to share and one that you ought to listen to very intently:

My uncle owned many lands and fields and he often took me with him riding in his big red truck as he oversaw the workers in some of the factories. One factory in particular was utilized by turning rough corn granules into finely milled corn grits, the piles of freshly-grinded whitish yellow corn grits were like little towers all in a line on the cement floor.

Now, a few weeks earlier, I had just received from my grandmother's maid a very beautiful bracelet. Yes, I know you are thinking that she was merely a maid in my grandmother's home and what in the world kind of a bracelet could she have given to me? But I was only a child of around six years and it was a very beautiful bracelet, in my eyes. It was delicate, intricately woven silver tautened into a very thin loop and it looked perfect against my very fine, porcelain-like skin. I loved how the cuts in the silver caught the sunlight while I played out in the yard in the afternoons. It was my most treasured item, and I refused to take it off! I bathed with it on my wrist, I played with it on my wrist, ate with it on my wrist, slept with it on my wrist, I did everything wearing this adored bracelet!

I was wearing my bracelet that day my uncle and I rode up the mountains in his big red truck. It was about time to go home already after walking through the factory and the fields, it was late afternoon. There I stood in front of the little castle tower of ground corn, poking it with my finger, and I noticed how every time I poked it, the little bits of corn grits from higher on top would fall down, tumbling over my hand, covering and filling in the hole I had just made. The thought occurred to me like the voice of the devil What if I put my bracelet into there, what would happen? But what if it gets covered up in all the grits and I never find it again? But then what if I do find it again? I can put it in there , remember exactly where I inserted it into, put my hand back into the same exact place, and pull it out again! Because I love my bracelet that much, I know I can find it again! I contemplated the ideas running through my head. Of course, there was the little part of me that said Is it worth the risk? I eased my beautiful bracelet off over my knuckles, grabbed ahold of it really tight, and thrust my fist deep into the middle of the hill of corn grits, I let go, then I quickly pulled my hand out again. I blinked, waited two seconds, then struck my hand back into the same exact spot where I had let go of it.

I couldn't feel it with my fingers, I panicked. I just have to move my hand around some more and I'll find it I reassured myself. I didn't want to take my hand out of there, anymore! I groped frantically up and down inside the hill of corn grits, they were all cascading down onto my arm, sprinkling down onto the ground! I must have searched in there with my fingers for about 30 minutes. My bracelet was gone. That was the last time that I saw it.

My heart sunk that evening with the heavy realization of a lesson learned the hard way, one that I would never forget. Is letting go of something you love, just to see if it will still be there when you come back again, worth the risk of losing it, forever? This thought burned into my mind and has left an eternal scar on my heart, one that I am very thankful and honored to have! Because of this scar, today, I know the worth of the beautiful things that are important to me; no matter what they are, who they are, where they came from, or from whom they came from! For my whole life, and today, I remember the agonizing feeling of loosing something that I loved, due to the reason that I risked it! I learned, when I was around six years of age, that I should never risk the things, or the people, that I can't afford to lose! Because losing something that you love, is not worth the risk just to see if it will still be there when you look again. Losing someone that you can't live without, is not worth the risk just to see if that person will still be there when you come back.

And so, I am steadfast. Whether it may be to people I have only spent a few hours with, or to people I have spent a few days with, or to people I have spent years with, or to people I have met on FaceBook: anybody who has touched my life and made it a little more beautiful, is worth keeping and holding onto. I don't let go, and if I lose someone, it's because they let go, not me. Now, is that worth it? Is the hurt of being let go of, worth the effort to hold on? I would say yes, because that way, I know that I'm better, I know that I earned the scar on my heart that I received a long time ago in a corn milling factory, I know that I have more to give. I have more, not them. And this has not allowed me to be taken advantage of, rather, because I am able to see the worth that I put into individuals as being a part of my life, I am equally able to see how other people are not worth being a part of my life, and I can distinguish who exactly to keep, and who to let go of. I don't hold onto the ones that don't make my life beautiful, but I hold onto the ones that I want to keep on my wrist always, just as I did my bracelet.

And this is the story that I wanted to share with you. :) Right now, I am devoting my time fully to the emergence of my upcoming novel, and I will get back in touch with you when it is released (or almost released), but I am happy to keep in touch with you over at my FaceBook Page, which is more easy for me to update! Have a wonderful day, everyone!


10 comments:

  1. That is a really love;y story. Sad to lose the bracelet but a priceless lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true - a very touching, meaningful story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I know that I have more to give. I have more, not them. And this has not allowed me to be taken advantage of, rather, because I am able to see the worth that I put into individuals as being a part of my life". Good for you, you have learned that wisdom early in your life. Learning that, I guess it saves one from lots of heartaches. Good luck to you upcoming novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bells! What a hard lesson to learn for such a little girl. I think you were probably lucky to learn it while only losing a bracelet. Imagine having to learn it losing a person.
    I do hope you have found another piece of jewelery to cherish after all these years, we girls DO need some sparkle in our lives.

    I hope everything goes well with the novel, I'll miss you until you join us again Bells!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm glad that you're holding on to all of us. And to your new novel. I'll drop by your Facebook now. I don't think I've ever been to your spot over there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, Charity!! Don't play games with love or friendship. Hold fast to what's good, to what you love. Don't be frivolous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful story Charity which teach us a fabulous lesson too :) Simtimes it happens without any logical reason we subconsciously risk the things, or the people, that we can't afford to lose!
    Story tells-display the positive N courageous attitude u have acquired during n after that incidents happens with U.
    It certainly very important lesson to be learn by everyone in life.
    Many many thanx for sharing the wunderful incident with us.

    Pratyax :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. You tell me that my stories arev toooooo long ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♥´¯`•.¸¸.• ♥ •´¯`•.¸¸.♥
    Hello Charity,

    You said: "Is letting go of something you love, just to see if it will still be there when you come back again, worth the risk of losing it, forever?"

    I remember, when one is young, very young, this regretfully happens. Someone you love with the deepest profoundest meaning of love, for no reason at all callously lets it all go thinking what was left openly wounded, would faithfully remain standing there.

    But that is not how life is. (But the young do not know. And shamefully, stupid old folks as well) Life flows and flows and flows unstoppable with time - and the actions and decisions of moments are taken for the ride, swept by it's current and swallowed by the tide.

    ♥ I had the opportunity, years and years and years after to say this to someone who thought I would always be there. It was all beautifully dramatic when life presented me with that moment
    (two decades and two after).


    You said:

    And so, I am steadfast. Whether it may be to people I have only spent a few hours with, or to people I have spent a few days with, or to people I have spent years with, or to people I have met on FaceBook: anybody who has touched my life and made it a little more beautiful, is worth keeping and holding onto. I don't let go, and if I lose someone, it's because they let go, not me.

    From that experience, this, what you boldly expounded, was how I lived from that moment of experience as well. And it has been all good.

    The bracelet was meant to teach you what you wear as a garland in your heart right now. Beautiful writing! And yes, yes, I look forward to reading this dreamy novella of yours!


    ♥´¯`•.¸¸.• ♥ •´¯`•.¸¸.♥
    The Lady Prism

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Charity,

    Such a beautiful story and a hard lesson to learn as a little six year old. Thank you for sharing this with us and a lesson we all need to learn in life.
    Much luck with the novella.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top