The Slut Who Was Golightly

I think that when people meet me, they think they know what kind of stuff I write.

If you have read my first book, or have been reading my poetry, you will have come to expect a comforting, soft, tender voice who can often also express anger and pain effectively. A poignant tenderness is what you’ve come to expect from me. Comfort and a soft voice. But then others say they have come to expect from me a human rawness, and I think that is a more accurate description (not to say that your personal description of me is wrong) but if I were to describe my poetry, I would describe it as being “raw” and “human.”

I’m not only a poet anymore now, though (in case you haven’t noticed) now I have a novella out, so I am now a novelist as well, and if you are expecting the same voice in my novella as in my book of poetry, you are in for a shock (especially if you read my poetry to feel soothed and sweetened.) My novella is not a soothing, sweetened book. It is raw and human- yes. But if you didn’t know that it was the same person who wrote both books, you would probably not guess that I wrote both books.

I think that when people meet me in real life, they expect me to be a writer of teenage romance, vampire and werewolf dramas, or some other sort of a nonsense. And that insults me.  If I were a best-selling author of a vampire-werewolf-teenage-love-triangle series, I would be so ashamed of myself! Not to say that the authors of such material should be ashamed of themselves, and I have goodwill towards all the many best-selling vampire-werewolf-teenage-love-traingle series authors that are out there! But I’m just saying, that I would be ashamed of myself. That is not the kind of writer that I am, and that’s not the kind of writer that I wish to be. I don’t write to entertain, I don’t write whatever is selling like hotcakes at the moment. I write because I am a writer, because I want to write something, because I MUST write it, because I want to bring souls to life (both the souls of the characters and the souls of the readers).

When people meet me or come to know about me on the internet through my writings, I think that they get a better grasp of the material that I write, but still, I somehow fall under the stereotype of someone who is about to write something very ticklish. But I don’t want anybody to think that, because that is not what you are going to get when you read my novella! I don't want anyone to expect to be blown away or taken on a wild ride, when they pick up my book. I'm not a blockbuster kind of an author, I'm an Oscar kind of an author. I focus on characters and the depth of their minds and where they come from, I focus on conversations, I focus on the connection between movements and emotions; it's very important for me to prepare a feast of the senses in my stories; sights, sound, smell, touch, taste! My stories are highly stimulating for the reader's EQ and IQ. The reader has to think, to feel, to taste, to touch, to smell, along with the words that I have written. My aim is not to entertain, my aim is to give life, to bring to life, to create life, and to take one into the depths of the characters. To read my novella with comprehension, you must be prepared for all of this. Don't expect me to entertain you. Expect to think, expect to feel.

Now, my novella is a far cry from my first book in which are written words that everyone can understand; if you expect the same thing with my second book, you will be disappointed, not everyone will be able to understand the worldliness, the rough tone along with conflicting, disparate characters. Don't expect something easy to swallow, don't expect something sweet, don't expect everybody to be nice and uncomplicated. Do not dare think that my story is a "sweet" one. I would be insulted if anyone took to it as a sweet book! I expect more people to feel somewhat offended, have conflicting stirring emotions, I expect people to lay in bed at night and not be able to go to sleep because they are thinking about the characters of my book. Not that it is at all frightening, but that it is stirring. I don't expect anyone to be tickled pink.

As a matter of fact, someone did compare the tone of my story to that of Wuthering Heights, which is a story with characters that some people find emotionally overwhelming and very hard to swallow...and I must admit, my own characters in my novella did keep me up all night to watch the sun rise in the horizon... they are anything but temperate and easy to swallow. I just want all my readers to know what they ought to expect, when purchasing my book, because if you want to read it, you must read it with comprehension and understanding of what it is.

Yes, I enjoy being entertained at the movies by sagas like “Twilight” and blockbusters like ...whatever blockbusters are showing right now... but I would never buy a book of those, and I’m not saying that you shouldn’t, I’m just saying that I wouldn’t read Twilight. The last book I read was Leaves Of Grass by Walt Whitman! A book considered as an outcast in it's day which was written by a humanist who was rumored to be gay, some hundred years ago! THIS is the kind of stuff I read! And when I talk about Truman Capote’s Breakfast At Tiffany’s, I talk about the story SANS Audrey Hepburn (not that I don’t like Audrey Hepburn, but the book that was written was not about Audrey Hepburn, it was about Holly Golightly)! Holly Golightly was a frightened, lost, insecure, social climbing SLUT who had deeply engaging, keenly stimulating conversations with her neighbors and flatmates...!

Don't judge a book by what you want it to be, or by what you think the author is like. Judge a book by what it plainly is, and what it is trying to be. 


XXX

3 comments:

  1. What can I call you - what name do you go by? I hardly know you - am just beginning to catch a glimpse of your style and your depth, but I am hooked. You have a way with words that reaches me in the depths of my soul. You have the courage to write in the way that I have only ever thought. I should then, begin to put on paper all the many things my mind muses about. I will forever be your fan, will draw inspiration from your writings and will gleen from your rawness - you are a talented, beautiful woman. Keep writing for all the world to see.. :) Karis Joy ( i am not lansing triathalon, it's my sisters page...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very very moved, I'm very happy and thankful to have a reader like you, and if I am able to stir your soul, that is because you already have that depth of soul, it's very difficult to stir a shallow soul, but I seem to be effective at mingling with yours, so I do believe you are an old and aged soul, and I am very glad to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you should be expected to conform to one style of writing. Most of us are complex individuals who have different sides to us and share different things with different people. I think it would actually be harder to write the in the same style each time, about the same material. Maybe that's the Gemini, or dual personalities in me!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top