Faith

The following piece is something I first thought of saving for the book, but  goes very well with my other recent piece called Hope, which is on here, so I think it's best that I share this now:




Faith


I look and I see
The narrow path on which I have tread
The narrow path winding the side of this mountain
This mountain that reaches high into the clouds
Over cliffs of rock and jagged stone
This path curves and winds and dances
A path so narrow that my shoulder against the stone
Has constantly pushed me off to the edge
To the edge, to the end, to the brink of death
If I were to fall from walking this precarious path
Surely my death I would meet
And through the mist and the fog and the clouds
I cannot see beyond myself as I travel these steps
Upwards they wind
Always upward, around the cliffs of this mountain
A continuous winding, turning
I am the pilgrim of this path
I am the martyr of these steps
I am the saint of this mountain
Upwards and always upwards is my route
I cannot see beyond myself but I can feel another mountain to my side
And this is why I do not fall
Into an abyss
Into a dessert valley
For I feel I am in between two mountains
From the one I am pushed, for the path is too narrow
But onto the other I lean and I am steadied
I have walked this path for many a long stride!
Many a year, many a morrow!
And I have reached the mountaintop!
Now from this mountain I shall fly!
I can spread my wings and can you see, I have flown!
Through the clouds
From above through the clouds I peer down
To find the other mountain I could not see

But there is none

There was no second mountain
There is only a deep abyss
There is only the unknown drop
There is only the fall, the valley
Down below
Low low low down below
There is nothing but emptiness
And death

I never fell because
I believed that something would never let me



Copyright © 2011 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved.


Saint Paul Trois Châteaux: 1948 (buy my novella today)   FaceBook (join the family now)  Goodreads (add me as a friend)


4 comments:

  1. Hi Charity,

    It was great to visit you today and read your writing of Faith and Hope.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.

    Hope that you are having a lovely week
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writings are so beautiful and inspiring! I love visiting your blog
    Take care,
    Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Charity, fantastic poem my dear poetess.

    GOD BLESS

    Love from Zuzanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a journey. Your left me exhausted at the climb, then terrified at the fall, then finally uplifted at the faith and hope that awaits once you let go.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top