Learning To Be Human

Recently, the most-searched topic leading readers to my blog has been this: "What does Stay Hungry Stay Foolish, mean?" So I thought I'd share my interpretation of what those four words mean.

First of all, I think that we all (or almost all of us) feel the same way when we read or hear these words. You feel that certain way, but you don't really know what it means so you ask what it means. But not everything has to mean something, really. How much more important is the feeling that words give, than the words that give the feeling? A lot more important. Four different people can say to you: "I love you" with only one of those people making you feel something with those very same words that were spoken by the other three. So is it then very needful for you to dissect into the meaning of the words, or is it more needful for you to stop, be quiet, hush, and feel?


Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish... I think it reminds us of who we are. We are human. You. You are human. People wonder why they catch themselves at the bottom over and over again; it is because they forget they are human. They forget that they too are weak and needy, they forget to be there for themselves. People do things in order to be heroes...in order to change the world, in order to make a difference...all the while forgetting that they themselves are hungry, that they themselves are foolish. The moment that you forget that you too are hungry, the very moment you forget that you too are foolish, is the moment that you begin taking what's inside of you and throwing it all out for everyone else, not seeing that before long, as you walk on your own path on your journey, "everyone else" isn't going to be there. The only person who knows how to walk your path is you and the only people who will be with you there on your path when you realize that "everyone else" isn't really there: are the people closest to you, the people whom you love. And on that sad, sad day, you're going to realize that you've savored nothing for yourself, you've gathered nothing for the people you love and who love you; your treasure chest is gone, it's empty, it's public property. And that day will be the day when you say "Why? I am a good person, I did everything for everyone else." And on that day you will then say "I forgot I was hungry, I forgot I was foolish. And I forgot my loved ones were hungry, I forgot that they too are foolish." And you'll pick yourself up again, along with your family, and begin to build a treasure chest, begin to fill it up. But all those years... they'll be gone.

So don't forget that you're hungry. Don't forget that you're foolish. Don't forget that you're human and that you're supposed to be human. Don't forget that God knows you're human and that He made you that way. Heal yourself through what it is that you do. Bless yourself through your sharing. Allow your kindness to make you feel blessed, reflect yourself onto the world as if it is your biggest mirror! And at the end of the day when all of the people are gone, have your treasure chest with you and those who are closest to you. And when you look back, may you be able to look back and say that people came and people left, and every time they came to you, they left bearing a treasure that you gave to them! Because your treasure box was always full, because you kept it full, because you knew that you too were hungry, that you too were foolish.

As for me, I don't fill up my treasure chest myself, but I allow God to do that for me, He charges no amount, He offers at no cost.

I'll leave you with my own words written just last night:

"I feel like, God expects me to be human. I feel like, God likes me just the way I am: broken and empty and bruised. I feel like, God doesn't look at me and wish that I were something else, because He likes me just this way. I feel like, God doesn't want me to close my eyes and pray for Him to make me holy or for Him to make me pure; because He made me human. I feel like, God already knows I'm human...it is I who needs to learn that."

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top