"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

When Princess Diana passed away, I was deeply saddened. I was very young but her simple existence had such an impact on how I saw a certain beautiful part of the world, that I almost couldn't comprehend her passing.

My mother has only a few icons whom she often speaks fondly of: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Elizabeth Taylor, and Princess Diana. So as I grew up, I learned from my mother so much about their lives, enough to be given a glimpse into different, and beautiful parts of life.

Before Steve Jobs passed away, I didn't even know who he was. My impression of Apple Inc. was a big building full of greedy, power-hungry business people and tech geeks who cared nothing of me, or of anyone else as long as we all bought their products. Suddenly, within the short span of a day, I realized all too thoroughly how it was always actually one person, Steve Jobs, who was responsible for envisioning a future for everyone! Isn't that what we do for people we love and care for? We envision their futures and fill those visions with many wonderful, and beautiful things! That's what he did. It is now dawning on me, that we're the ones who didn't care about him, while he cared about all of us. Did we ever care about the man who imagined our MacBooks into reality? Before buying an ipad or an ipod, did we ever stop to say "I'm thankful that someone imagined this as being a part of my life today" ? I doubt so. He was the one thinking about us.

In his exceedingly inspirational speech addressing the graduates of Stanford University, he said this:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

This piece of his speech created a kindred spirit within me, I felt like I knew Steve Jobs all too well. I don't want to go into all the details of my life, but I'll say that I have always fought to live my life for myself, following my own thinking, following my own visions, I have fought to grow into who I always knew I was; I somehow knew I was. I never wanted to be a product of other people's desires, a product of my parents' expectations, a product of the norm, the trend, the typical, the mediocre, the expected. I fought it all. Like Steve Jobs, I too dropped out of University. My mother had always wanted me to study medicine and I was enrolled into a B.S. in Biology degree course as a prelude to medical school. I dropped out shortly after I enrolled and people have their own speculations as to why I did that, but the truth is that I just didn't want to be there. I wanted to be somewhere else, someone else; I wanted to be who I was and I wanted to go where I knew I was supposed to be. Steve Jobs also said in his speech "Don't settle." I never settled.

I realized yesterday, that this person who brought his visions for you and for me into a material world, into a physical existence, was more than just a greedy CEO. He was actually a someone. 

Yesterday I once again recalled how I felt on the day I found out Princess Diana had passed away, but it was different in the sense that I grew up patronizing the Princess while I had only found out about Steve Jobs after he had actually died. But Steve Jobs is inspirational, and it doesn't take a long time for us to realize that we have a certain affection for those who inspire us, even if it was only for a day.

I was inspired to write this little bit, while thinking about the events of yesterday:


"Why do we always begin to think about people when they die? I think we should think about people while they're still alive! That way, they can know that we're thinking about them! I always tell people when I'm thinking about them, or that I thought about them, or that I have been thinking about them and it almost always scares them away, but so what, I am practicing the art of life and if that is frightening to them then maybe they need to start living while they're still alive!"

In honor of The Whole Earth Catalog and the spirit of Steve Jobs, I leave you with these words: 
* "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."


xx


*This does not actually mean that I want you to be foolish and never have anything to eat. Rather, I want you all to be very wise, and always have more than enough to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top