A Conversation With My Ten-Year-Old



I learn profound things from my son. And I want to share with you something he spoke to me of, just the other night...

"Hey, have you ever heard of the saying when life gives you lemons, make lemonade?"

"Yes, I have." I was scurrying about, I am always scurrying about doing things I can't recall later on. I guess I am sort of intoxicated most of the time, seeing as I can't remember what it was exactly I was scurrying around for!

"You know," he said, "some people don't drink their lemonade, because they're scared of what might be in it!"

I stood still and looked into the air, feeling as though I had been able to penetrate a brick wall and there was something on the other side! Another side that I haven't ever seen before!

"Why?" I asked. I felt as though I had stumbled upon a holy grail of some sort.

"They don't drink their lemonade because they're afraid of what might be in it, they're afraid that bad stuff might be in it."

"Wow! You know, that's true!"

"You see, life gives them lemons, and they make lemonade out of those lemons, but then they look into their glass of lemonade and are too afraid to drink it!" He said.

"They're afraid of something bad being in it!" I echoed him, and I felt as though I was standing under a light drizzle in the land of eureka!

"Yeah! And that's a terrible way to live life! Always going around looking for bad in things that are good! Going around looking for something that isn't good enough instead of seeing the thing that is good, the thing that makes you happy!" 

My ten-year-old son is right. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Then when you have the lemonade, go ahead and drink it! 

And you know, when other people have their lemonade, don't try to find something wrong with it, either! Let them drink their lemonade, every last drop of it! Do not hinder the courage of others! Do not console yourself with your perceived misfortunes of them. If their lemonade looks pretty good, it probably is!

xx


1 comment:

  1. Hi Charity,

    You have a thoughtful and lovely Son, and must take after his Mumma. Wise words, from a 10 year old.

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top