From Dust to Dust, Ashes to Ashes...

One time, in Florence in Italy, I saw a supermodel. Now, it just so happens that I seem to often be in the same venue as models and run in to them a lot (none of them are kind to me in any way whatsoever) but they're usually just models, this one time in Florence I am certain I was looking at a supermodel. The woman was extremely tall, dressed in equally extremely expensive couture from head to toe, she had a beautiful face and fine makeup on that face. But though she was cradled in refinement and clothed in expensive couture, there was a sick aroma of depression that emanated from her. She reeked so much of this foul "smell," that from across the street on the other side, she caught my attention! It was like a carcass. A rotting carcass. As I watched her walking on the other side of the street, it was as if I was being stabbed in the heart! This woman's legs were as small as my arms! Her arms as small as my fingers! Her fingers as small as the strands of hair on my head (and the strands of hair on my head are not individually thick). She was so malnourished, and that malnutrition of her body screamed out for attention, was screaming out to be seen and heard and attended to! I could feel the cells in her body, her tissues, bone and marrow, and ligaments– they were calling out from the brink of despair and death!  I could feel that. And yet, this woman woke up every day, looked in the mirror (I suppose) and clothed herself in designer apparel and attended designers' parties and walked the catwalk and lived life as if nothing was wrong! I wanted to literally run to the other side of the street and tell her to please, please, eat something. But in a split second, I didn't want to go near her because she reeked so much of that despair and depression, and it almost clung to me!

The woman in Florence was clearly someone who was purposely staying that thin for a reason, that reason being her profession as a supermodel. She obviously wasn't impoverished, yet along with her she brought the ten thousand dark and dreary clouds of poverty and destitution. Right now there is a famine going on in Africa, and even without this famine going on right now, there are always malnourished children drying up and dying in Africa like shriveled things on the streets. They dry up and die, because they have no money, they have no food; this is malnutrition! 

Yesterday I saw a photo of a supermodel which took me back to that moment on the streets of Florence, Italy. And that photo made me realize, that though I only saw one supermodel like that in person, she is not alone; she has many friends! Women like her are many! And it doesn't stop with just her and her friends, but it goes on and on with all the women in the world who look at their pictures and billboards and t.v. ads and fashion shows and want to be like them! I hereby conclude, that in the West, malnutrition is a state of mind rather than a physical state; malnutrition is happening in the minds of Western women, and I think it is an equally devastating state! Because how devastating is it, to have the money to buy food, to have the status and be in the position to eat whatever you want and enjoy life to the fullest; yet to continually deny your body all of that! The fashion industry is a religion; it demands the denial of one's physical body for the favor of "professionalism"(good modeling skills, good work ethics, the cultivation of personality, etc.) so what is the difference? Religious people are so quick to judge supermodels, calling them self-inflicted anorexics, shallow and vain! But what is the difference, really? The separation of flesh and spirit, the denial of flesh for what is inside! I tell you now! Supermodels are not shallow and vain! Supermodels are less vain than you are! They deny their flesh, every day! They put their bodies in palaces surrounded and emulsified in all the best food, luxury, and opportunity, and they let their bodies suffer, they let their bodies agonize and drool and they deny their bodies completely. This is not a vanity. This is a malnutrition of the mind! The fashion industry is a dark religion that acknowledges no one divine entity, but performs this "editing of the mind" in the name of beauty. I tell you right now, this is not beauty. Yes, they may perhaps find some beautiful women (not all of them are beautiful, but some are) but they then "edit" these women into something that is no longer beautiful! Into something that is every day on the brink of falling down to the ground and returning to the dust. From dust to dust, ashes to ashes...

One could argue "What if they are just that way? What if they are just skinny like that?" Even people who are "naturally" like that, have an underlying bug in the back of their heads; there is a reason why, and that reason can always be medicated. And there is always a fine line in the sand between skinny and malnourished. Malnutrition is malnutrition. And let us not fool ourselves! We all know what the industry demands, and then promises in return! In exchange for all that is promised to a supermodel (hot guys, a gigantic paycheck, fame and fortune, happiness...) do you think that women aren't going to starve themselves to death, to get that? Let's not be foolish and act like we don't know human nature. And let's not say "It's a natural body type" so we can then have an excuse for "becoming" that "natural" body type!

So I want to end on this note: That women should be as wary of the ways of the fashion industry, as they are of strange and frightening cults. Yes, let us appreciate fashion, yes let us wear beautiful clothing, yes let us appreciate beauty; but no, let us not be controlled or dictated by this state of mind that can so easily penetrate the female brain! Every time you strive to malnourish yourself, you are mocking the people dying and starving of famine in Africa! Just think what they would say if they found out about supermodels!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top