Pink, Purple, and Blue Hair

I want to share with you a true story lifted from the pages of my childhood; moments in an NYC cab that I will never forget:

When I was just a little girl, we visited New York City. My parents were both deathly afraid of everything on the outside of our little yellow cab. They repeatedly asked each other if the doors were locked, and if we were all SURE that the doors were locked! My heart started pounding from fear that was being induced by their fear! I wondered what they were so afraid of! Finally the culprit was identified! "Look! People with pink hair! And purple and blue! EEeeeeeeeeeee!" And I dared myself to look out the window. But when I did look out and see for my own eyes, I didn't feel fear, at all! In fact, I thought "Oh how wonderful! Pink and purple and blue hair standing up high into the air!" And I compared my feeling of wonderment to my parents' feeling of fear! They taught me to be afraid of what was on the outside of our little yellow cab, but when I looked for my own self, I felt something different! It was wonderful to see people with pink and purple and blue hair! And so, at that tender age, I decided that the way we look at things, changes our experience of them, and changes our perceptions of other people, and changes (most importantly) how we feel on the inside!

We can choose to make things bad, on the other hand, we can choose to make those same things wonderful! And how we do that, which direction we face, affects not really the other people that we're looking at, or the things that we're looking at, but ultimately, the only person it affects is you, the only people our perceptions affect, are us! We can either be like my parents, or be like me!


Copyright © 2012 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved worldwide.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.”

“Though you break your heart, men will go on as before.”

“If you are pained by external things, it is not they that disturb you, but your own judgement of them. And it is in your power to wipe out that judgement now.”

“Look beneath the surface; let not the several quality of a thing nor its worth escape thee.”

“If a person has an appreciation and understanding of the Universe, there is hardly anything that won’t appear beautiful. Such a person will find equal pleasure in looking at paintings and wild animals. He will see in every person a sweet freshness and light. Vision will be his gift, and he will see beauty where others see nothing.”

“Things of the world cannot touch the soul. The soul can only touch itself.”

“I am not threatened unless I judge events as being evil. And it is within my power to not view things this way.”


~ All quotes above by the stoic, Marcus Aurelius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top