The Stray

The Stray

She looked weary and worn
Her stomach bloated
Having just given birth

She lay in the rock garden
Over summer-roasted stones
Calmly contemplating

I sat down at the glass doors
And slowly opened them
So to not give her a fright

I cooed and called out to her
Cautiously she heeded my voice
And doubtingly made her way t’wards me

Two slices of bologna I tore
And fed to her piece by piece
She glanced up at me

With her big, green eyes
Every time she came near to take a bite
So afraid was she

Yet through all her fear
Through all her doubt
She remained graceful

She was of lowly status
Perchance this was her biggest meal
The most food she had ever known!

Four slices of bologna
Two small fish and some cheese
A shallow cup full of cold water, too

In all her lowliness
In all her lack of glory
She held her head high, gracefully

She moved with the flow of honor
And dignity; I called her into my home
But she wouldn’t dare put her paws on my floor!

She looked at my floor, then she looked at herself
And thought herself not worthy to step inside!
But still, she held her head high!

Grace and dignity clothed her
From the tip of her tail to her paws
Her big green eyes so beautiful

She ate until she could eat no more!
Her kittens called to her from behind the fountain
Her face so small, expressed so much gratitude!

The cat did not think herself of great stature
She did not see herself to be of so much worth
But she knew grace and dignity

But she knew gratitude

Oh all the people who ought to be like this cat...


Copyright © 2012 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top