Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Only one man and all of this.

You only need one man to love you. But him to love you free like a wildfire, crazy like the moon, always like tomorrow, sudden like an inhale and overcoming like the tides. Only one man and all of this.

"Natural Magic" by Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale (1872- 1945)



I recently shared this piece of art on my Facebook Page, along with my writing as seen above. There is something I would like to briefly discuss. First of all this was done in pencil and watercolor by the British Pre-Raphaelite, Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale, who bursted into the said era with color and vibrancy! She came onto the scene in the latter years of the artistic era, nevertheless, she remains one of the most celebrated Pre- Raphaelites and one of the very few women to grace this era, as well! Now with all that been said, I want to point out something that I think allows people from two mindsets to see this one piece of art in two entirely different lights. It all has to do with the crown in the hands of the woman! Now, when I first looked at the crown in her hands, perpetually suspended above the man's head, I immediately believed that she was adorning his head with a crown, because she had crowned him, she had chosen him to be her "only one", she chooses him to be her only one and crowns his head with her favor! Then after studying the work of art for a while longer, I realized that it could be seen in two lights; the first one being the light in which I immediately saw it, while the other one being in the light that she is removing his crown! So which one is it? Is she crowing him, or is she dethroning him? To which school of thought do you subscribe?

I think that seeing this photo in either light, tells the heart a tale of truth! Because I believe that to crown a man with your favor is one of the most honorable and noble expressions of a woman's love! Oh yes, in the streets (like on internet forums and in magazines) we hear so much of women complaining how men think themselves to be kings and princes or what not! But when you take yourself out of the streets, you can take yourself to a place where the crown of favor is something a woman desires to give and a man desires to accept (as you can see in the painting above, he is at her feet, swooning over her in adoration). There is nothing shameful about being a man's crown, or in crowing a man with your favor. Afterall, you must realize that if you are the one crowning him, that means you are the one from whence the crown came! You're the original royal!

Now, for those of you who see this is her "dethroning" the king/prince, I nonetheless see this as a beautiful allegory! To reduce a king or a prince to nothingness in the presence of your womanhood is just a day's work in the realm of Venus! And so a depiction of magnificence that is brought into the levels of gentleness and adoration (we see the man kneeling at her feet) is a profession of love, and it's a very beautiful one! Yes, yes, in this day and age of "expert dating books" and "expert relationship advice" people are taught the craft of manipulations and deceptions and the "game" as if love is a competition! As we can see from this timeless work of art, such isn't the case, it doesn't need to be the case. And that's why I like this painting so much! Because it has the power to take people's minds out of the gutters and allow them see love through the original eyes of the soul! 


xx



1 comment:

  1. I see it as the woman taking the crown from her prince/king not so much as dethroning him but simply as a matter of its unimportance to their love. Its simply an object. To many is a sign of power but to them is simply in the way. The woman also appears to possibly be mother nature which adds a depth that I need to be more awake to ponder.

    Jeremy Yachik

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥