Monday, November 5, 2012

Roots

Roots

Your judgement of others could be the single greatest obstruction in the path of your destiny.

The minute she was born into this world
Her soul was rooted into her path of destiny
Looking unto the rainbow that cast itself
Ever so gracefully over her horizon
She looked into her destiny with eyes
Free of defilement and hurt
The path was straight, the rainbow was
Painted vibrantly onto the air
There was no way she would get lost
She stood at the beginning of her destiny
Her soul peered through her path
Her eyes fixated onto her destination
It was grand and good, molded by God’s hands

The minute she stepped into church
She was taught to see sin
This was the sin of others
That was the sin of those people
These were the sins of her neighbors
Herself, her family, her friends...
The preacher taught her repentance
The priest taught her to identify insufficiency
On her path where she stood, her gaze
Began to falter as she turned to face the left
And the right: seeking for the sins in others
She began to point, she began to scorn
She began to take offense in actions that did her no wrong

The minute she lost focus of her beautiful rainbow
Her horizon was out of sight
She strayed to the left, she strayed to the right
In pursuit of all that was wrong with the world
All that was wrong with all the people in it
Her vision was no longer set on what was her own
But was set on the shortcomings that were not her own
With these judgments, she filled the void that was inside her soul
The great ravine dug by the hands of her many judgments
The many catechisms tempted her astray
They say sin is temptation
But no greater a temptation is there that exists
Than one’s own attraction to self-righteousness

The hands of judgments covered her eyes
The songs of insecurities sang her intoxicated
She drank on wines of wrath and spite
It was her own pursuit of holiness that
Turned her into a whore; a squanderer of ignorance
She desecrated her own mind
With her judgments of others
The shit in her mind fouled not the people
But only trashed her own spirit!
Until she found herself standing
In the very shoes she once despised
All too soon, she found herself standing
In the very shoes she once reviled

Looking into a mirror, she saw the very person
That she had once looked down upon
Looking into a mirror, she saw the very soul
That she had once counted as a candidate for hell
“Oh God, forgive me!” She felt shame, shame, shame
And remembered the first day of her birth
The way she once saw her destiny, her journey, her destination:
With untainted eyes, open and fixated!
With untainted eyes, transparent and free!
She remembered how it once was
How it should have always been
And saw how far away from that path she’d strayed
Her roots so far away

“I am nothing but a whore of holiness”
“Oh God, release me from my bonds!”
Step after painstaking step
Sojourning on the path of true light
The weight of the past years crumbled and fell
While she journeyed closer and closer to the light
The veil over her eyes cracked like desert earth
It dissolved like useless dust
Each step taking her home, bringing her home
Until she finally stood back at her point of birth
Where all the memories returned
She saw through newborn eyes, once again
The rainbow in the horizon


Copyright © 2012 C. JoyBell C. All rights reserved.



7 comments:

  1. You're an amazing author. This is genius; I'm so glad I found you! It's been forever since I've read so much that I enjoy and I've been reading your blog for most of this morning. Thank you for sharing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you very much for your comment! I also thank you for reading the things that I write! :)

      Delete
  2. I think this piece captures the sentiment I have after the presidential election. I was looking for quotes around the idea of an eagle, or angel needing both wings to fly and came across this excerpt of yours;
    "We can only fly with two wings and two wings can only stay in the air if there is a balance. Two beautiful wings is perfection. There is a generation of people who idealize perfection as the existence of only one of these wings every time. But I see that a bird with one wing is imperfect. An angel with one wing is imperfect. A butterfly with one wing is dead. So this generation of people strive to always cut off the other wing in the hopes of embodying their ideal of perfection, and in doing so, have created a crippled race.”

    I think this should be the thought for the upcoming holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Scott!

      I am very happy to hear that you've found my words applicable and useful. I also thought of those words that I once wrote, during the recent US elections! Here's the entire thing, just in case what you found was a "half-eaten" piece (as I like to say):

      “For everything in this journey of life we are on, there is a right wing and a left wing: for the wing of love there is anger; for the wing of destiny there is fear; for the wing of pain there is healing; for the wing of hurt there is forgiveness; for the wing of pride there is humility; for the wing of giving there is taking; for the wing of tears there is joy; for the wing of rejection there is acceptance; for the wing of judgment there is grace; for the wing of honor there is shame; for the wing of letting go there is the wing of keeping. We can only fly with two wings and two wings can only stay in the air if there is a balance. Two beautiful wings is perfection. There is a generation of people who idealize perfection as the existence of only one of these wings every time. But I see that a bird with one wing is imperfect. An angel with one wing is imperfect. A butterfly with one wing is dead. So this generation of people strive to always cut off the other wing in the hopes of embodying their ideal of perfection, and in doing so, have created a crippled race.”

      Thank you very much, for reading the things that I write!

      xx

      Delete
  3. found this wonderful. Stubbled across it and it reminds me of a truly wonderful person who is kind, lovely and compassionate and doesn't believe in God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! How are you? Thank you for stopping by!

      I'm thankful for all the positive feedback on this piece of mine, because I actually hesitated before publishing it online! I knew that it would probably irritate some people. All the feedback has been positive, though! I have been writing a lot of new stuff lately, which is all going to appear in an upcoming book. I haven't shared the writings in my new book, aside from this one! I decided to share this one, right after I wrote it! Everything else though, I am going to leave for everyone to discover among the pages of my book.

      I know what you mean, in your comment. I was also completely overwhelmed when I found an atheist family to be the kindest family I'd ever met!

      Delete
  4. What a relief, Charity, to be free of all that baggage of sin and righteousness. To be joyful and tender and open to life.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥