Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Wind Among The Reeds

Mongan Laments The Change 
That Has Come Upon Him And 
His Beloved

(1899, W.B. Yeats)

Do you not hear me calling, white deer with
no horns!
I have been changed to a hound with one red
ear;
I have been in the Path of Stones and the
Wood of Thorns,
For somebody hid hatred and hope and desire
and fear
Under my feet that they follow you night and
day.
A man with a hazel wand came without sound;
He changed me suddenly; I was looking
another way;
And now my calling is but the calling of a
hound;
And Time and Birth and Change are
hurrying by.
I would that the boar without bristles had
come from the West
And had rooted the sun and moon and stars
out of the sky
And lay in the darkness, grunting, and turning
to his rest.


I was reading The Wind Among The Reeds with my son Gilead, today, and this poem resonated with me personally. For some reason, the words in this poem move in harmony with my thoughts that hope is often a source of pain, and perchance you're better off not hoping for anything!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome! : ) Thank you for reading! : )

      Delete
    2. I left a comment on this piece but do not see it. ????

      Delete
    3. Hello, please don't stress over your comments, I'm sorry if you don't see it, but sometimes comments get lost! C'est la vie! What was it that you wanted to say?

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥