Innocence

I once read an incredibly insightful write-up on the topic of innocence. Unfortunately, there's no way of finding it now, I have scoured the internet for it but just can't seem to find it or the author of it. But I want to discuss with you the things that I gleaned from reading it. Actually, it's more like I want to discuss and do some self-reflection at the same time.

According to what I read, innocence in a soul is the ability to see the same thing again and again and again as if you are seeing it for the first time, each time. Innocence in it's purest form, is comparable to the child who is mesmerized by the glowing street lamp every single time she/ he sees it turn on at eight o'clock every night. And so on and so forth. But then it goes further than that. It's not just a cute appreciation for things or finding joy in the small things (as we've all heard before.) But it is actually a thorough forgetfulness of the whole experience and a complete re-living of that experience again and again and again. I guess one could say that it is comparable to having short-term memory loss or something of the like. Anyway, this is where my self-reflection steps into this discussion— I was able to see myself in the article that I read, and actually understand myself. You see... it is quite difficult to understand me. I write all these philosophies and theories and revelations... and yet every day I forget that there is a little pink house standing on the corner of the road, tucked behind tall weeds and wildflowers, on the way to my son's school each day. I just forget that completely, each day (and this is just to give you one small example.) So every single time I see it, I squeal for joy at the little pink house with a little pink door and I talk about how wonderful it is to have it there tucked behind the weeds and the wildflowers like that! This scenario repeats itself throughout my days, taking many different forms. Sheer delight. Over and over and over again. Complete forgetfulness. And yet, I am not stupid. Well, I think many of you would say that I'm really really really not stupid... so it's difficult to reconcile the innocence with the other part of me which produces a wellspring of understanding.

Ultimately, I can understand myself. And this is the funny part— in my own book, The Conversation of Merachefet, I discuss the nature of innocence and explain it to be the possessor of true power and knowledge. I discuss how innocence should not be undermined; as it is the absence of innocence that marks the lower form of human kind. Or just human kind in comparison to the angels.

Now what about sex? Is sex the absence of innocence? I don't see why it should be that way. And I don't think it is that way. To find absolute pleasure in the act of love making has nothing to do with the loss of innocence. In fact, many would argue that the act itself is a spiritual experience (of course, depending on who you do it with.) Why is lust something that is tainted with such ridicule, anyway? Is it wrong to lust? Should we not love what we lust and should we not lust what we love? Why does mankind desire to separate soul from body? As if God did not put us here in these bodies at all? That's why people end up marrying people they only love and then end up having lovers on the side whom they lust. Why not lust whom you love and love whom you lust? The Goddess Aphrodite is the Goddess of both love and lust. The human being is capable of loving from the Divine soul as well as lusting with the body. It's all good! Isn't it? Where is the line drawn then? Well... some things in this world are just plain vile and evil. They don't even have anything to do with lust, anymore. They have to do with evil intentions and it is in the intention where good or evil is found.

So back to innocence... I have an incredible amount of it... so much that sometimes I think I might be handicapped! And yet we all know that I'm not. Moreover... people associate wisdom and understanding with deviousness and diabolical minds... this is not so. Devious, manipulative behaviour is not the result of understanding and wisdom, at all. It is nothing Divine, therefore, it cannot be associated with anything of Divine nature.

Not all is learned from mistakes. Not all that is gained, is gained from misfortune and hardship. Some things are simply given and then simply received. Some things are simply the fiber of what we are made of.


1 comment:

  1. "The absence of innocence marks the lower form of human kind "
    I agree. <3
    "people associate wisdom and understanding with deviousness and diabolical minds... this is not so. Devious, manipulative behaviour is not the result of understand and wisdom, at all. It is nothing Divine, therefore, it cannot be associated with anything of Divine nature". This is very true!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top