Let's Talk About Breastfeeding

         I was talking about breastfeeding on my Writer Page recently, to which Rachel Moses responded with a statistic, stating that only 1 out of 10 babies are being breastfed at 6 months. Rachel Moses is a Certified Lactation Counsellor and her statistic came as a shock to me! I do know that there are mothers out there who would love to breastfeed but simply don't produce any milk, for whatever reasons. So, not all mothers lactate, which is a very unfortunate thing but it's also just the way things are and I understand that they would love to give their babies the best but simply cannot! I also know of other mothers who do lactate but who have disgusting-tasting milk that their babies want nothing to do with. Then there are probably the other reasons like poor health on the mother's end and so on and so forth. There are also the reasons of simply not wanting their breasts to fall out of shape, simply not wanting to tote the "burden" of feeding their babies with their bodies, so on and so forth. But a statistic of only 1 out of 10 is just awful. That means 9 out of 10 babies are not getting the best that they deserve.
         I breastfed my son for the first two years of his life, without incorporating any formula milk whatsoever. I am very thankful and grateful to be able to say that, because I know that there are mothers who would love to be able to say that but simply can't, for real reasons such as the ones I've mentioned above. I feel that it is incredibly fulfilling as a woman, to be able to feed your child with your own milk produced by your own breasts! How much more of a woman can you become, really? The ultimate sustainer and nurturer is someone who can sustain and nurture another human life with her own body! This is something so feminine, so womanly, it is something only a woman can do! To be able to not just form and bring out another human being with your body; but also to nurture and nourish that person with your breasts, is just so female, so womanly, so feminine and so divine! It makes me see the immense honour in being created as a woman and it makes me feel even more thankful to have been created as a woman. The woman is indeed the divine sex. But I am dismayed at why so few women see this! Why are too many women trying to prove that they are not women? Where is the pride in that?
         Breastfeeding is not only the best thing that you can do for your baby's health, but it is also a very practical choice to make! You don't have to spend money on expensive formula milk, on sterilising devices for sterilising bottles, on the bottles themselves, and then on hospital fees for when the bottles aren't sterilised properly and your baby ends up with diarrhoea (it often happens.) You don't even need to mix the milk and make sure it is at the perfect temperature! There won't even be any need to go through the gruelling process of figuring out which formula milk is good for your baby (the one that won't give him/her an upset stomach and abnormal bowel movements.) On top of all that, it's the best way to slim down! Breastfeeding tones your stomach muscles to help you get back into shape faster than otherwise doable.
         Ideally, a mother will want to breastfeed and I understand why there are many real reasons why this ideal wouldn't be fulfilled. Our ideals are often different from our realities. But I also understand that there are many reasons that shouldn't be reasons at all and I would like to be a voice that says, if you can do it, then do it without hesitation. Do it with your whole heart! Embrace motherhood fully and with joy! Embrace womanhood fully and with happiness! Give your baby the best because the best is already in you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top