A New Kind of Feminism

       I want to start a new kind of feminism. A kind of feminism which states that it is okay to open doors for me, it is okay to offer your seat to me on the subway, it is okay to pull out the chair for me when I'm about to sit down, it is okay to speak to me gently. Because I am a woman. Because being born as a woman means being born sacred. Because being born as a woman means being born cherished and prized. It is also okay to treat me as an intelligent human being who is skilled and mindful. It is also okay to be gentle with me because my skin is softer, my heart is softer and my tears are easily provoked. It is also okay to never hit me and to never slap me because, yes, just because I am a woman. Because being born a woman means being born holy, it means being born revered and respected. Just because I was born a woman. And yes, it is okay to consider how I might feel about something— physically or emotionally or mentally, simply because I am a woman. It is also okay to expect me to be of sound mind and strong heart, it is okay to expect me to be steadfast and true, because I am a woman. Because I will live up to those expectations, and even more. It is okay to see me as a person of sound thought, because I am a woman. It is also okay to expect that I might like to play football or that I might want to be a ballerina. I might want to be a soldier but I might want to be a princess. I might want to climb mountains and I might want to play the piano. I might believe in unicorns or I might want to believe in Buddha! I might want to wear pink or I might want to wear black. It is okay to wear pink. It's also okay to wear black. It's okay to speak to me softly, it's okay to consider my feelings, it's okay to love me, because yes, because I'm a woman. And if you don't hit me or slap me or push me, just because I am a woman, that is okay with me. Because women were born sacred, to be cherished, to be loved.
       This is the new kind of feminism, a feminism that says I don't want to try and prove that I am as strong as a man or that I am better than a man. Why should I feel the pressure to do that? I don't see a man as a competitor; I see a man as another human being with his own strengths and his own merits. This is a kind of feminism that says that it's okay to see me as something softer, because I am softer. It's also okay to see me as something with great worth in the workplace and at home and at school. This is a feminism that gives room for men to aspire to become strong and gallant; a feminism that allows room for men to aspire to be brave and gentle and true! This is a kind of feminism that adores the woman in her exact form and function— mind, body and soul. I am a woman and I am free and I have wings and I can fly and I take joy in all of the provisions that are given to me just because I was born this way, I take joy in being seen as a soft and flying thing with wings, I take joy in being me! And this is my kind of feminism.

Copyright © 2015 C. JoyBell C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and friends, you touch my heart, so please feel free to leave me a note (or two). ♥

Back to Top